Sunday 27 May 2012

Week 1: 2 Litres of Water

Water is the essence of life, and our bodies are 60 - 70% water , so it is important that we have some intake for the body on a daily basis. 


Dehydration causes stress, and stress causes dehydration. It's time to break this cycle for more short and long term health benefits than we care to recognise!

Although we know that 2 litres is essential for a functioning cells, most of us do not drink this amount per day. 


It is important that the 2 litres consumption is broken down over the course of the day and it may be advisable to start, if currently you drink no plain water, at 500ml per day and make your way slowly up to 2 litres. If you instantly start on 2 litres, the body will quickly start to eliminate toxins and you may feel unwell so build up slowly, you have all week! 


In the beginning, when you start to drink water you may notice your amount of toilet breaks increase significantly. After approximately 4 days your body will become used to this and use the water, rather than letting it 'run straight through'. Imagine a plant, where the soil is bone dry becuase it has not been watered in a while. The water will run through it, before it starts to be absorbed properly. 


I must make clear what I mean by 2 litres of water in no uncertain terms! This is plain water, no additives, flavourings, fizz, and certainly tea and coffee do not count. These drinks can be consumed in addition to the water and yes I am aware it seems like a lot. 


So - getting on to HOW to get started. See the picture below with the bottles. Which method to you seems like the easiest to consume your 2 litres? 







I prefer the 4x500ml bottles. On a work day, Monday - Friday, I make sure I have drank two in the morning and two in the afternoon. In between each of my patients I will take a sip. 

At weekends it is much more difficult and I prefer the 750ml bottles. This way I can have one in the morning, one in the afternoon and the other half a bottle, usually with lunch.
Whichever is the easiest method for you, which fits around your lifestyle. Let me know what you plan to do, pop your comments on my Facebook Page, these are all helpful for my course. 


Once this has been made into a habit, your body will let you know
 when you aren't drinking enough. 


More information coming in the week, for now, get your water bottles ready!

Helen x




No comments:

Post a Comment