Thursday 7 June 2012

How much time...?

How much time do you feel you can allocate to yourself in a day, to work on your goals?

That is not :
- making dinner
- tidying up
- running around after kids
- doing something for someone
Working

Maybe you already have your "Me Half Hour" where you spend 30 minutes doing your stuff be that meditation, researching online, writing that book you've always wanted to...?

I asked a client once who was suffering from extreme stress to spend 15 minutes per day just ... lying there. Not sleeping, not running around, not tidying, just lying. Asking her internal voice to give her a break for just 15 minutes. To observe her thoughts and get past that frantic voice which was always talking to her.

She couldn't do it. She thought it was selfish. Too much. She'd never taken time out for herself.

Maybe, I pointed out, this was the reason for her being so burned out, and now, ill.

Laying there was too much of "nothing" ... she had to be doing something. So she decided to go for a walk each day for 15 minutes instead. How many of us are guilty of always wanting to be something? Give yourself a break!

I regularly have one hour to myself, (at least 5 per week) to write my blog, gather my thoughts, write down any ideas I've had that day and just spend time doing whatever. Listening to music. Zoning Out.  I dedicate 8 hours a day to my clients, I cook and dedicate my family and friends time throughout the week but me time is always scheduled in.

How much do you have and when?

No comments:

Post a Comment