Sunday 3 June 2012

Top 5 Excuses

Hopefully, in last weeks blogs and on my Facebook Page, I managed to share information on becoming hydrated and how cellular hydration leads to the improvement of many thousands of conditions. I am 7 days out of 90 on becoming hydrated from the inside, out.

This week, we are talking EXCUSES. 


I thought we would get this topic out of the way early on in the challenge. This week, I am going to be mindful of the amount of excuses I hear coming out of my mouth. Not only the ones coming out of my mouth in the form of speech, but also those ones which I use to justify things to myself in my own mind. I'm going to ask you to be mindful of yours too. 

You know the ones. The "Oh well, I can always go to the gym tomorrow" or "Come on, one glass of wine won't hurt"...

I'm putting a stop to these excuses, but before I can stop something I have to pause, and realise when and where I am making the excuses, and what they are most often about. Food? Exercise? Life? Time? I have no idea but I will let you know! 

Here's my list of what I think are my top 5 excuses  - I would love to know if yours are the same or different to mine and in what situations, please share it with me in the comments box below.

Excuse #1 - I HAVEN'T GOT TIME


The reason why I personally say I don't have time for things, is usually because, I write a to-do list which is SO LONG that I could never get through it in a day! My brain is always ticking and I will mentally add things on it throughout the day. It often ends up longer at 5pm than it was at noon even though I have been making my way through it.

How to improve on this:
- Choose 3 things in the day you must do.
- Choose 3 things in the day you would like to do but it is not essential that it is today
- Choose 3 things you would like doing which you could ask someone else to do or help you with.

For example, I went for a meditation day with Ann-See Yeoh 4 weeks ago. . I decided, after this event, I was going to spend some time morning and evening doing yoga. My first thought? "I won't have time" ... do you know how many things I pack into my mornings and evenings?

So I put it on the 3 things in the day I must do list - every day - for the next 21 days. I thought I would try it and see if I saw any benefit and if I didn't, it could come off the list. I set my alarm 20 minutes earlier each morning and went to bed 10 minutes earlier at night. I have an 8 minute routine in the morning and 8 minutes at night. Not bad for a beginner.

I have noticed, that I sleep a lot better, and I seem to be a lot calmer in day to day life. Wonderful! It is one of those things I want to do now, without a thought wheras previously I thought "I would not have time" or I simply would try and cram it into an already packed day. Instead, I MADE TIME.

Excuse #2 - IT WON'T WORK

Have faith.

If you've never tried something, no matter how simple or "out of this world" the idea seems to be to you for the cure, you may as well try it.

Why not, what have you got to lose?

I'm going to stop judging everything, stop thinking that it won't work, and just get on with my life, free of this excuse.

(I'm also going to make a point of not being in the company of those people who make excuses. Just for this week.) 

Excuse #3 - I CAN'T

I hear my dental patients use this excuse a lot on a variety of different topics.
I can't floss.
I can't use tepes.
I can't plug a toothbrush in my bathroom we don't have a shaver point.
I can't lie back in the chair.
I can't remember what medication I'm on.

You Can! You Absolutely Can!


You can learn to floss.
Have patience with tepes. (Have you ever tried, except once, a few years back)
Buy a 2pin/2pin converter plug for your toothbrush and plug it in on the landing (they only need charging once every 2 weeks for 4 hours) and I'll even put the link in here to help you!



You can lie back in the chair, if you lie back in bed.
You can carry a list of medications in your wallet/purse with you.

Change your mindset, you CAN do it. Think about what you say you can't do this week, and flip-reverse it!


Excuse #4 - IT'S BORING

Nobody asked you to find it riveting to drink water, change your diet or your life. Nobody asked you to get excited about a salad.

There are things we HAVE to do, and this week I am going to stop thinking everything should me major super-duper exciting and just get on with it.

Excuse #5 - WHAT WILL OTHER PEOPLE SAY?

I am reading around the topic of "caring what other people think" and this is another blog topic in itself.

If you're going to change your life, do it slowly and the best way to do it if you're worried what others will think - is not speak a word about it.

Naturally, everyone knows about my challenge of 52 changes of my life in 52 weeks (and for the habits to be lifelong) but you may choose not to tell anyone about yours. Nobody will notice you're having a super-healthy lunch, or breakfast. Nobody need know!






No comments:

Post a Comment