Sunday 10 June 2012

An Introduction To Mindfulness

I was first introduced to "being mindful" when I took a short course in Kinesiology in order to understand better about health and lifestyle choices and change.

Before we are going to look at changing anything in this 52 Weeks (we are now in week 3!) we first need to pay attention to what is it we are doing right now, and why. This is mindfulness.

One night last week I decided to stay up later than usual to watch a training video. I went to the kitchen first and saw a bottle of Coke in the cupboard. Now, I'm not a fan of fizzy drinks especially since I started my water trend, however now I'd seen it I really wanted a glass.

So I poured myself a glass and came and sat at the computer to watch this training. I reached for a pen to make notes and BAM the glass of coke was knocked over. I was mad that I'd been so careless (it was quite dark though) but then began to mop up. I ended up not actually drinking any of the coke, as it was all over my desk/papers/drawers and... cream carpet. I didn't think much of it until the following night,  I went to open my nutrition course homework folder and it was all s.t.u.c.k. together and brown.

My first thought? I am pumping this rubbish through my intestines by drinking this stuff. If this is what mess it's left my desk/drawers and papers, what does it do to my body?

My clear up went like this (in my study)
- Use dry sponge to mop up excess
- Use damp sponge to wipe off sticky mess
- Rinse sponge, wipe again
- Dry
- Is still sticky, used Flash Wipes

My poor body would have to go through a nightmare trying to get back to a balanced state after that glass of coke! It was clearly meant-to-be spilled that glass to provoke such thoughts.

My mindfullness tip today, is this...


Think about what you're doing. As you pour that glass of wine or coke, think about what your body will have to do, to come back to a balanced state, in comparison with, for example, a piece of cucumber. Could you make a healthier choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment