Monday 4 June 2012

The Wheel Of Life

I went to a weekend of Life Coaching with a friend in January 2012 in London.

I wasn't sure what this weekend would bring, but it did teach me about one valuable tool when it comes to evaluating your life and where you want to improve, and how.

This week we are talking EXCUSES, so this is how I achieved the goals that I set on that day.



The Wheel Of Life

  • Draw a circle and divide it into 8 parts. 
  • Write around the edges, 8 parts of your life which are important to you. 
  • I did this very general but you could be very specific (Instead of Family, you could have, the relationship with my kids or my husband/wife, for example)
  • Evaluate this area of your life from 1-10. 
  • Here is my example from January 2012. 


You then set yourself some goals, of how to improve on each area.

Some of my goals were:

  • Health: 
  • Join the gym; 
  • Actually go to the gym once I've joined and keep it up, 
  • Start to eat helthier 
  • Learn to cook (more things than just meat and veg)


  • Social Life
  • Have people round for dinners / parties
  • Go out more often
  • Finance: 
  • Go from working part time to full time 
  • I can then afford the gym/social life/fun/family time
  • Personal Growth
  • I wanted to study something but I didn't know what at the time. Now, obviously, it is nutrition. 

I focussed in on the "Going from working part time to full time" when it came to the excuses part. We were challenged to think of all the excuses we possibly could which would inhibit us from reaching our goal as well as HOW (very specifically) we were going to do it.

I was going to do it like this:
- Send 250 CVs to Dental Practices within a radius of X miles from my home
- To print, sign, and write the envelopes of 10 per day for 25 days
- Return all phonecalls and messages I got to my mobile
- Buy a new blouse and trousers so I felt great if I got an interview
- Put 100% effort into my new CV as my current one was basic and include a photo
My excuses could have been:   (but once I'd written them here they're not valid)
- I might not want to travel 35 miles along country roads to work depending where the practice was <work is work and you wanted full time>
- I may not have time to do the 10 CVs per day <make time>
- My printer may run out of paper or ink <buy extra to keep in the drawer>
- I will not have time to do other things at home once I am full time <wait until you are and then get a solution>

RESULTS: I actually managed to get them all done within 4 days, I totally focussed on this task in any spare time I had and within 2 weeks of sending them, another 3 days work 'appeared'. I was full time and I was then able to go and join the gym and I am still going regularly.

I set these goals in January and I re-visited them in May 2012, 5 months later. <Blue>

I still have more to go as you can see but these are minor changes, the most significant being health. Can you see though in general, through evaluating your life and setting goals you can decide what to change?

This is where the "52 Changes" idea came from, I am going to slowly do it throughout the year to make the lasting change which will be forever.

Todays Task: DO your wheel of life and see what areas you could improve on. Set specific goals and how you are going to implement them. 

Focus in one one goal, and make all the excuses you probably could about it, and give yourself a solution, in advance. 

You can download an image of the wheel of life from Google Images and colour it in on paint.

I would love you to share yours with me and my followers on my Facebook Page or Twitter!

To sign up to this blog to your email inbox, please enter your email address below,

Helen x

No comments:

Post a Comment